If you suffer from neck pain or you’ve experienced a whiplash injury, Dr. KenGee Ehrlich has the chiropractic experience to relieve pain and rehabilitate your neck. When you come to his clinic, The Good Chiropractor, in Los Angeles, you’ll receive a thorough physical evaluation, neck adjustments, and exercise training designed to correct and strengthen neck vulnerabilities.
Neck Pain Q & A
by KenGee Ehrlich, DC
Why is it so easy to hurt your neck?
Your neck consists of 7 small vertebrae that support the full weight of your head, which is roughly 14-16 pounds. The neck is meant to be flexible so your head can move, but flexibility makes the neck susceptible to injury, too. The muscles, ligaments, and tendons that stabilize the neck are also vulnerable to injury, which can come from trauma, but is just as likely to occur from a quick turn of the head or from staying in one position too long.
What causes neck pain?
Many of the patients who depend on Dr. KenGee for chiropractic treatment have developed neck pain from these causes:
- Injuries: Whiplash is the most common cause of neck pain. Symptoms sometimes don’t develop for weeks, so don’t assume your neck is healthy if it doesn’t hurt right away. Chiropractic adjustment can heal the neck before the injury becomes permanent.
- Poor posture: When you’re hunched over or bend your head while reading or working, you’re at risk for developing neck pain. Come join Dr. KenGee at one of our community posture screening events, or contact us to schedule an appointment. We’ll help you improve posture to prevent neck problems.
- Bone misalignment: The stress of supporting your head can lead to disjointed bones in the neck. Like other neck injuries, early chiropractic treatment will help prevent damage from getting worse over time.
- Disc herniation: When the disc between spinal bones bulges out, it no longer cushions the bone, and damage to the spine and/or nerves occurs. Disc herniation is more common in the lower back, but may result from neck injuries.
- Osteoarthritis and degenerative disorders: A variety of health conditions affect the cervical spine and lead to neck pain.
What chiropractic treatment will you receive?
During your first visit, Dr. KenGee will give you a thorough examination, and he may order x-rays or other diagnostic tests, depending on your history and condition. Then he will work with you to develop a schedule of neck adjustments designed to improve range of motion and reduce pain and stiffness.
If you’re new to chiropractic care and worry about an already fragile neck, talk to us about your concerns. Research shows that spinal manipulation results in significant improvement of neck pain, so that’s reassuring. There are also gentle techniques Dr. KenGee can use if you can’t tolerate traditional techniques.