Dr. KenGee Ehrlich offers chiropractic care to pregnant women living in the area of Los Angeles. Chiropractic adjustments during pregnancy are safe and they help relieve back pain, maintain pelvic balance and alignment, and may reduce the time spent in labor and delivery.
Pregnancy Q & A
by KenGee Ehrlich, DC
How can chiropractic therapy benefit a pregnant woman?
Extra weight during pregnancy places stress on the spine and its supporting muscles and ligaments. While weight gain is a normal part of pregnancy, the added pounds can lead to disabling pain. About half of women experience back pain during pregnancy, yet few of them seek help.
If you’re pregnant, don’t wait to consult Dr. KenGee. His chiropractic care can prevent or relieve discomfort caused by these changes that occur as the baby develops:
- Strain on back muscles and spine: As the baby grows, the mother’s center of gravity shifts and her posture adjusts accordingly. These changes strain back muscles and throw the spine out of balance, which often leads to low back pain.
- Pressure on joints and bones: The spine, joints, muscles, and bones in the lower body bear extra pressure from weight gain, sometimes enduring double the normal pre-pregnancy pressure. As a result, pregnant woman may develop spinal curvature and rounding of the shoulders.
- Weak ligaments: Pregnancy-related hormones make ligaments relax to accommodate birthing, which means that joints lose their usual support and become more susceptible to injury. Dr. KenGee’s holistic approach, with a focus on proper exercise and diet, will help prevent damage due to lax ligaments.
Is chiropractic care safe during pregnancy?
The American Pregnancy Association assures women that chiropractic care is safe during pregnancy. When Dr. KenGee works with expectant mothers, he avoids placing unneeded pressure on the abdomen and may use a specially designed table that adjusts for body changes as the baby grows. Regular chiropractic adjustments during pregnancy can help:
- Maintain pelvic balance and alignment
- Protect the nervous system
- Reduce the time of labor and delivery
- Prevent a potential cesarean delivery
- Turn babies in breech presentation using a chiropractic adjustment called the Webster Technique
When should you consult The Good Chiropractor?
Stress on muscles and bones during pregnancy tend to cause problems that become noticeable during the third trimester, when the baby grows rapidly and the mother must adjust to changes in her weight and body shape. But Dr. KenGee can help prevent problems, so don’t wait – make an appointment with The Good Chiropractor before you’re in pain.
Seeking chiropractic care in the form of regular spinal adjustments throughout your pregnancy may help prevent pain in the lower back and pelvic region. And don’t forget that expectant moms can also rely on Dr. KenGee for ergonomic information, exercise tips, and nutrition advice to keep both mother and baby healthy.